Last updated: 6/2019

Quick answers to your most frequently asked questions.   

Expand All Items

Laboratory Waste

Laboratory Waste

1. I have a large number of expired or unneeded chemicals; must I submit an individual waste request for each container?

No. Submit one Waste Request Form and indicate approximately how many containers need to be picked-up.  Someone from EHRS will contact you soon to provide additional guidance and to coordinate the pickup

2. I have some unwanted or empty compressed gas cylinders; who do I contact to have them removed?

Whenever possible, gas cylinders should be returned to the manufacturer or supplier that owns them.  Contact information can generally be found printed on the cylinder label or hang tag.

For lecture bottles, disposable propane/MAPP gas or other cylinders that cannot be returned, submit an online Waste Request Form to schedule a pickup with EHRS.

Laboratory Safety

Laboratory Safety

1. I think my fume hood is malfunctioning.  What should I do?

Close the hood sash and do not use the hood until EHRS confirms it is functioning properlyContact your building administrator to open a work order.  If the hood is not put back into service within 5 days of contacting your building administrator, contact EHRS. 

Chemical Storage

Chemical Storage, Transport, and Labeling

1. Can all acids be stored together in the same cabinet?

Strongly oxidizing acids (e.g. Perchloric acid, nitric acid) are incompatible with organic materials, including organic acids (e.g. Glacial acetic acid).  These compounds react vigorously.  Mineral acids (ie. HCl, H2SO4) can be stored with either acid type.  If a separate cabinet is not available, use secondary containment to segregate incompatible acids.

2.  Should I wear my lab coat and gloves when transporting chemical or biological samples outside my lab?

No.  PPE (including lab coat and gloves) must not be worn in public (non-lab) spaces or outside of the building.  Instead of wearing PPE, package your materials so that everything is appropriately contained.  Use secondary containment to protect not only yourself, but also the rest of the University and the community at large.


1. Who do I contact to have my Biosafety Cabinet serviced?

Technical Safety Services (TSS) is a new BSC vendor available on campus that provides certification and repair services.   See the BSC Certification & Repair section of the Biosafety Cabinet page on the EHRS website for more information about how to contact TSS and how to prepare your cabinet for service.