Last Revised: March 13, 2023

Please see Current Guidance Shipping Materials Countries Restrictions page for the most up-to-date information.

Contact Export Controls in Research within the Office of Research Services for additional information on export control matters.

Harmonized System (HS) Code and Economic Operator Registrations and Identifications (EORI) numbers are now REQUIRED for all shipments into or transiting through the EU, Northern Ireland, Norway and Switzerland by air. See the info below on how to obtain an HS Code and EORI for your shipment.

Transfer of biological and chemical material into or out of the USA may trigger the need for permits or licenses. A permit or license can be issued by U.S. Department of Commerce, the U.S. Department of State, the U.S. Department of Treasury, Centers for Disease Control (CDC), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services (USFWS).

Any individual planning to transfer materials should work with the University to check the regulations
and, if necessary, apply for the appropriate license

      Use the TEMPLATES below for your CERTIFICATION STATEMENT to import or export non-regulated material!

      Expand All Items

      Hamonized System (HS) Codes (REQUIRED for EU shipments)

      Important Information for Our Users Shipping to the EU, Northern Ireland, Norway, and Switzerland!

      Starting March 1, 2023, the European Union (EU) will be implementing the Import Control System 2 (ICS2), a large-scale information system aimed at improving safety and security at customs for its citizens. As a result, all goods being shipped into or transiting through the EU, Northern Ireland, Norway and Switzerland by air will require additional information.

      To comply with the new regulations, we kindly ask that you provide a minimum six-digit Harmonized System (HS) code, an accurate goods description, and the receiver’s Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number for each item in your shipment. These rules apply to all goods (except documents), regardless of value.

      • To obtain the EORI, reach out to the international recipient (consignee). A tax ID number may be used if an EORI number is unavailable.

      • To obtain HS codes:

        • HS Code: 6-digit commodity classification code for each item in the shipment.
          • The HS Code is a standardized classification system used around the world for importing/exporting goods. The United States uses a more specific, 10-digit Schedule B number (see below), which includes the HS Code.
          • The Schedule B Look-up tool can be used to help you find the appropriate code. The first 6 digits of the Schedule B number is the HS Code.
      Customs Brokers/Freight Forwarders

      Customs Brokers/Freight forwarders

      *Priority World Wide does not handle shipments containing animal specimen or involved in animal testing.


      U.S. Dept. of Commerce

      CDC Import Permit Program

      • permits are required to import biological agents or vectors of human disease, bats, bat specimens, and other non-human specimen
      • Import Permit Program Tool

      USDA Import/Export Permits

      • permits are required for import of materials of animal origin, or materials that may contain pathogens causing disease in livestock or poultry, including STATE-to-STATE transport
      • Veterinary Services Permitting Assistant

      U.S. Fish and Wildlife

      • permits may be required to transport live animals, including bats and material from endangered species (VERO cells)
      • Permit Search
      Material Transfer Agreement (MTA)

      Material Transfer Agreement (MTA)

      • contract that governs the transfer of tangible research materials between two organizations, when the recipient intends to use it for research purposes. MTA MUST be in place before research materials are transferred from one lab to another.
      More In Shipping