Last Revised: November 17, 2023
State, federal and local regulations and accrediting agencies require Radiation Safety Training for all personnel using radioactive materials or radiation producing equipment at the University of Pennsylvania, University of Pennsylvania Health System, the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Wistar Institute and affiliated institutions. To take web based Radiation Safety Training, use this link.
Training is required by the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) for all employees who work with hazardous substances including chemicals, human blood, blood products, fluids, and human tissue specimens, and those that work with physical hazards including lasers, powered industrial trucks and hoists. Training is also required by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) for those that handle or dispose of chemical or infectious waste.
These programs are developed and presented by the Office of Environmental Health & Radiation Safety using instructor-led or web-based formats. To determine which training programs you are required to take, select the appropriate campus location below:
Workday can trigger assignments based on the selection of learner groups within Workday by learners themselves (self-selection) or by their managers. EHRS has research-specific learner groups. Learner groups will be listed under Environmental Health and Safety or Radiation. Choose your learner groups based on lab specific hazards (i.e. Bloodborne Pathogen Safety, Laser Safety). Note: If you have completed Bloodborne Pathogens training at CHOP or HUP AME, you do not need to select this learner group.
Also, only choose one laboratory safety learner group based on the type of research performed. When choosing a laboratory safety learner group you will automatically be assigned the introductory laboratory safety, management of laboratory waste and any associated updates.The laboratory safety learner groups are:
- Laboratory Safety- Chemistry Department Only (Only choose if you are in the Penn Chemistry Department)
- Laboratory and Biological Safety Main Campus (Choose if you work with chemicals and biologicals on Philadelphia campus)
- Laboratory and Biological Safety New Bolton Center Only
- Laboratory Safety- Physical Science (choose if you only work with chemicals and physical hazards- typically, engineering/physics departments)
Laboratory researchers should follow the flow chart below to assign training and should check for campus specific trainings if needed.
Once a training is complete in Workday Learning it may take up to 24hours to access a completion certificate. To print a certificate in Workday Learning:
Print Your Own Certificate of Completion
1. From the Workday homepage, in the Quick Tasks box, click View All Apps and open the application called Learning, or go to Menu in upper left of homepage to open the Apps and open Learning.
2. In the left-hand navigation, under Links, select Print Your Learning Certificate.
3. In Course box, paste the exact name of the course. You can limit courses by date.
NOTE: If the name is not identical to the course name, your certificate will not be generated.
4. Click Print.
NOTE: If there are several course dates listed in your search, each course certificate will be generated.
5. Print as you would any other document from your computer.