6/15/2021 University policy will change with updated guidance. Please go to the Penn Coronavirus page for the latest information: Penn Coronavirus
Updated Penn Mask and Distancing Requirements
As of Friday, June 11, 2021, in accordance with the Philadelphia Department of Public Health’s updated guidance, if you are fully vaccinated, in most situations on the University campus you do not have to wear a mask indoors or outdoors. However, we must continue to be vigilant for the members of our community who are unvaccinated and are at risk.
When are you required to continue wearing a mask? If you are:
- Not fully vaccinated, the University is requiring you to wear a mask inside University buildings until further notice.
- A student in quarantine or isolation living with other people, also known as congregate settings. You are required to wear a mask indoors your residence.
- With children under the age of 12, such as a school, camp, or childcare setting.
- Inside healthcare settings, including all Penn Medicine facilities.
- Using public transportation, including Penn Transit.
Public health guidance on campus continues to evolve. Visit coronavirus.upenn.edu/content/public-health-guidance for current information.
The City of Philadelphia will lift physical distancing restrictions June 2, 2021. Accordingly, classrooms, labs, and other University spaces will be used at 100 percent capacity. Mask use is still required for all building occupants while indoors.
Penn no longer requires the use of masks while outdoors for those who are fully vaccinated. Being fully vaccinated means that it has been two weeks since the final dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
Minors and those participating in summer camps are still required to wear masks while on campus, regardless of vaccination status.
COVID safety protocols are changing. Note that many policies have been rescinded or updated. Please check back for updates.
SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 Research Information
- Biosafety Guidance for COVID-19 Research Projects Revised 7/2/20
- Training: BSL-2 Enhanced Training for Processing COVID-19 Patient Specimens
- Shipping: Guidance for Shipping SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 Patient Samples
- Return to Campus - Building Ventilation Information - Issued 6/7/2021
- Return to Campus - Air Filtration Devices - Revised 6/25/2021
- Response Plan Revised 06/02/21
- FAQs Withdrawn 2/15/21
- For Supervisors: Staff Health Questions Rescinded 8/17/20
- Wastewater Monitoring: Spring 2021 Pilot Program Issued 4/2/21 Rescinded 6/17/2021
- Training Rescinded 6/02/21
Research Lab Information
- Close-Proximity Work--Standard Operating Procedure Rescinded 6/02/21
- Physical Distance Waiver Request Withdrawn 9/21/20
- Lab PPE and Preventing Transmission Revised 6/02/21
- Reordering Transmission Prevention Supplies Revised 6/4/20 Rescinded 6/17/21
- Lab Cleaning and Disinfection Revised 6/9/2021
- Checklist: Research Resumption Revised 6/17/21
- Webform: Research Resumption Notification Withdrawn 3/19/21
Best Practices (Cleaning/Disinfection/Hygiene)
- Eating and use of Conference Rooms Issued 12/22/20 Rescinded 6/17/21
- How to Handwash, Handrub and Remove Gloves Rescinded 6/17/21
- Lab Cleaning and Disinfection Revised 4/20/21
- Cleaning Labs with Suspected/Probable/Confirmed COVID-19 cases Revised 4/20/21
- Penn Vendor Policy Revised 10/2/20 Rescinded 6/17/21
- Distribution of University Supplied Face Masks Issued 4/15/20 Rescinded 6/17/21
- General COVID-19 Workplace Safety - US Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) Issued 02/03/21
Face coverings, masks and respirators
- Precautions: Universal Mask and Cloth Face Covering Revised 6/17/21
- Compare: Cloth Face Coverings, Masks and Respirators Revised 1/20/21
- Maximizing Mask Fit Issued 2/10/21
- Mask and General PPE Guidance Withdrawn 5/20/20
- "How to Wear a Facemask" poster Issued 8/6/20
- Penn Cloth Face Mask Issued 8/11/20, Revised 12/14/20- masks unavailable at this time
- CDC Information on Mask Effectiveness and Use Issued 12/14/20
Guidance for specific activities
- Security and Delivery Revised 4/2/20 Rescinded 6/17/21
- Recommendations for Law Enforcement Rescinded 6/17/21
- FRES, Housekeeping NBC and Morris Arboretum Rescinded 6/17/21
- Construction and Renovation Revised 12/03/20 Rescinded 6/17/21